This is where one woman explores. She's embarking upon a journey of rediscovery (bear with me..). Learning to re-nourish the mind and body and find inner, ahem, peace...
Bienvenue.


"It's never too late to become what you might have been." George Eliot

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

applesauce, cinnamon, honey

To ease stomach: applesauce, bananas, peanut butter with buckwheat honey, and gluten free crackers (sprinkled with cinnamon and chia seeds)


Simple and Yummy Chili 
 I've been sick.  In fact, I'm still not well.  I don't even know what it is, really.  I taught on Monday, and it was incredibly difficult to get through the day.  I kept going over in my mind how to tell the class that I'm actually, like, really sick right now so we're going to end early...didn't happen until the very end of the day - moments from near collapse.  I somehow made it home and into bed.  Body aches, shivers, fever, and severe stomach cramps for the next 12 hours or so...at which time, things started to get marginally better.  My stomach is still very unsettled and cramps up every so often.  

I treated my illness with chicken broth (Monday evening); applesauce, cinnamon and honey (Tuesday morning), and the above concoction (Tuesday lunch).  By dinnertime, I was hungry in an empty and angry way - man in the house made chili and it seemed to do the trick.  Before bed, I had a small apple and in the middle of the night I woke up with severe cramps.  These cramps are disturbingly accompanied by cold sweats lasting a few seconds.  The pain I felt most of yesterday is what I imagine being beaten must feel like.  My rib cage, shoulders, stomach, groin, and legs throbbed - the pain radiated and I have no idea where it originated from.  There are other symptoms too delicate to mention on this family-friendly blog. 

I've been doing a lot of Dr. Googling and have come to the following conclusions:


  • my pancreas is turning in on itself and producing too much lipase (yup), or:
  • my pancreas is not producing enough lipase 
  • it's hormonal and cold sweats are early onset of menopause (almost FORTY here...)  
  • it actually is gastroenteritis (this is by far best option and most likely)
  • body is rebelling against wheat-free regime (to hell with this, give me some pasta!


As you can see from my scientific observations, I have no idea what's knocked me off my (sore) feet.  

I, of course, am a strong believer that knowledge is power and that it's up to the individual to be aware and beware.  I appreciate, however, that it's very difficult to interpret the myriad of information out there and without the proper time and proper frame of mind, one might get lost in it all.  

I've been reading the wheatbelly blog religiously - religiously, I say!  I've put too much time and emotional energy into the thing, and while it is undoubtedly terrific, it's not everything.  Nothing's everything (chew on that one for awhile, eh?)  Lowering carbohydrates is a good idea - yes, but not eating any fruit?  Not so much.  There is also a tendency towards saturated fats (meat fats, etc.) that leaves an icky taste (literally).  His entire premise is confused by what it means to give up wheat and what it means to lose weight effectively and what is or is not "permitted" on the "wheatbelly plan".  So. there.  I'm skeptical now, and I'm going to find my own happy middle.  No wheat, fresh, organic, varied, and lovingly prepared and, of course, photographed.  

This writing has given me a bit of an energy-boost.  Tonight is zumba and yoga, but I really do worry that it's too soon - something glandular is going on and I'm likely to sweat a small river with such exertion.  Too much info?  Right.  

Well, I'm off then.  Ta.  




No comments:

Post a Comment